Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day Around the World

A brunch, a cookout, or dinner with family all around- this is our picture of what a traditional Mother's Day celebration looks like in our part of the world.  For most of us, this day is either celebrated by spending time with our mothers or by phone or Skype when we call to remind our moms just how much they mean to us and how much they are loved.  For some, this may be a more difficult day and I'll get to those thoughts in a moment, but before I do, let me share a little with you about tents, popsicles, and jewelry.


This year for Mother's Day, we spent Saturday with my family and I was able to enjoy some down time with my mom while Nate occupied my dad for the day. (you will soon understand why the men didn't want to join in our adventure) Generally we do Sunday activities with our mothers on this special day, but to change things up a bit, my mom and I decided to go to an art festival that was taking place on Saturday. This, of course, is where my dad WILLINGLY allowed me to take my mom, as he knew otherwise, he would have to join her in looking at things that most men could care less about, so he was thrilled that I wanted to go to this event with her. 


This weekend's festival draws vendors and artists from all over the United States and I must say, I was surprisingly impressed with many of the vendors. There were intricate paintings, photographs taken from around the world, pottery, clothing, jewelry, unique gifts, and plenty of activities for children. For those of you who are Etsy lovers, it was a "mini-Etsy" under several big tents. There were so many creative ideas, so of course I'm thinking "how can I make that item for way less?"




As we all know, the best part of any festival like this is always the taste testing that takes place. There were vendors with creative food ideas and unique one of a kind gifts, such as gourmet hot chocolates, coffees, herb dips, candies, special sauces and marinades, to name a few. If you could come up with some creative way to package it, you could probably charge twice what it is worth and sell it here.


What we thought would be the highlight of our day (well, maybe that isn't the best choice of words considering the reaction we would later have) was a local business that specializes in unique flavors of popsicles, made from fresh fruits and all-natural ingredients. Now, you might think you've tasted every popsicle that is out there, but my guess is that you haven't tasted Peppermint Tea Citrus or Dark Chocolate Banana Mango Curry popsicles.


Yes, you read that right, a popsicle with tea and curry in it. As anyone who knows me well understands, I always like new things and will try about anything, so truthfully I was really excited about both of these flavors. However,  it might have been too much for even my tastebuds! I had to laugh at my mom's reaction of hers- I think she was just trying to be nice by saying that the peppermind tea citrus one "was refreshing" (<---- mental note to self, remember that line the next time you don't really like what you just tasted) as it was quite an odd combination of flavors, as was the kick of curry that was in mine.  Maybe we should have followed our instincts and went for the simple fruit popsicles.


As I reflected on this Mother's Day weekend, several  thoughts came to mind. I am very blessed to have the most wonderful mom in the world (there isn't enough room on this post to say everything that she means to me). I'm also blessed to have an incredible mother-in-law as well as incredible grandmothers who have provided such an amazing example throughout their lives.


However, I cannot reflect on this day without thinking of many of you who may not be able to celebrate Mother's day the way that I do:


  • Your mother may no longer be living, but you still reflect on precious memories 
  • You may long to be a mother, but at this time, this has not become a reality for you
  • You may not have a close relationship with your mother
  • You may be living far away from your mom this year, and wish you could be with her
  • You may be celebrating this Mother's Day as a single mom or as a mother who has lost a child
This day can be tough for many around the world. However, we cannot think about Mother's Day without thinking about children.  Millions of children have been orphaned, thousands of which also live here in the U.S. These children long for a mother to love them or be there for them when they cry, are hungry, or when they scrape their knee.  I've seen children in India, Africa, China, and South America, who live on the streets and who live in orphanages as well as those here in our own foster care system. For some of these children, their mothers had to make a very difficult choice of love so that they could be cared for in a greater way than they could provide. I truly cannot fully comprehend this kind of love, but I know this would be one of the most sacrificial acts- to do what is best for your child even when faced with the most difficult decision or circumstances.


This year, as Nate and I reflected on this day, we realize that our future daughter is most likely either conceived or already born and living somewhere in China. We think of and celebrate her birthmother, a woman who we will never meet, but who chose to give our future daughter life. On this Mother's Day, we thank an incredibly brave young woman, living on the other side of the world, for her sacrificial and loving act.

No comments:

Post a Comment