Thursday, February 14, 2013

Go. Be. Love.

So for all of you romantics out there, you probably think that this post is going to be strictly about Valentine's day or my wonderful husband, don't you? As much as I could say so many wonderful things about Nate, I'm going to actually spin this post a completely different direction today (sorry to shake things up, but it's more fun this way!) I figured that since Facebook seems to be doing a wonderful job today of highlighting what holiday it is (for those that wanted the reminder and those of you who probably didn't care to be reminded), I figured I'd let them handle the numerous posts of photos of the usual Valentine "stuff"- cards, candy, flowers, treats, quotes....
the list could go on and on, right?

Instead, I thought I'd take a quick moment to highlight a few things that I haven't taken the time to post about since returning from Guatemala a few weeks ago. I promised many of you posts from our trip, so I think I'm finally ready to begin sharing... but where to really begin?

GO. BE. LOVE.

This little phrase was coined by a global mission organization (or at least I assume they came up with it) and so I do want to show credit where credit is due in that this wasn't a phrase I came up with. In looking at today's posts on Facebook, I saw that they had posted what they called "love messages" each hour of the day as part of Valentine's day. These were photos from mission trips they have sent teams on from around the world. Each photo spoke volumes and behind each photo- a story. 


I want to begin by saying this phrase is a challenge in and of itself. 
A challenge to GO to a hurting world that is out there, (whether it be serving those that are hurting in your local city or on the other side of the world) 


BE. (I like to think of this as "be" the hands and feet of Jesus- which can look so many different ways), 

 

LOVE. (this one is pretty self-explanatory, really, but sometimes requires us to stretch ourselves in ways that aren't always easy or comfortable sometimes). 


This last one, for most of us, can present to be the most challenging of all. (love isn't always easy, pretty, or simple; true love isn't always how our modern-day media likes to portray it) 

I think about this phrase and think back to the first day our team met together and we let everyone share why God was leading them to participate in The Village Project- Guatemala and what we wanted God to do in our lives through the trip. As we went around, there were team members who were certainly ready for the challenge, but scared to death of what it might look like to
 GO.BE. LOVE. 


This demonstration of love would require taking risks, getting dirty, having a heart break for the things that break the very heart of God. This is what love looked like for us while serving in Guatemala.

John 13:24-35 (I'll let you look that one up) is a great verse, but I John 3:18 also says it well,  "Little children, let us not LOVE in word or talk, but in deed and truth." When I think about our recent trip, I'm reminded we didn't just show love to those we met just by what we said or shared with them, we also demonstrated our verbal love through our actions as well. 


I plan to share some of these specific stories in the days ahead, but for now, I'll keep it short and simple as it can be summed up in this amazing verse which I'll use in honor of Valentine's Day- " We LOVE because HE first loved us."  It is because of His love that we love and should have a desire to share His love with those both here and around the world.

GO. BE. LOVE.

I promise this one phrase alone will change your life if you live it out. That's my challenge to you on this "love holiday".  How will you GO. BE. LOVE?


No comments:

Post a Comment