Saturday, September 8, 2012

Football Widow

So I realize that we haven't posted in almost a month mainly because in the last two months, there have been a LOT of things going on in our lives (so much so that we cancelled our vacation this summer--it's ok though--there were good reasons for it). Yes, the last two months have been a mix of busy, crazy, and more; however, things are getting closer to settling down as we move into the fall, which we are both excited about. More on "the crazy life" later. 

What I would like to share with you is that it's official....the fall is almost here and as of last week, I'm a football widow. That's right, it's football season and I can pretty much say that I'm a widow on Saturdays during college football season.  Although, I can't complain about Saturday football as I have found that my obsession interest in all things HGTV and design is an equal trade off for all things college football during the season. This is our compromise this time of year. He watches games, I watch a few of my favorite HGTV home shows and it all works out quite well. (and the bonus: I learn how to "Design on a Dime" and make things, for all of you HGTV lovers out there...you'll know what I mean)


Ok, so back to football. Really-- being a football widow is ok. This is one of Nate's outlets and he absolutely loves college football and finds it is a great way to unwind after a busy week. So, I will say that sometimes when I watch games with him or go to a game with him, I do actually enjoy it. (even if he doesn't think I really do)  So instead of being a football widow today, we both went together to the UVA / Penn State game.



I was feeling a bit bad for the mascots today as it was so hot and extremely humid so I can't imagine how difficult a day it was for these two!


The funny part of today is that Nate is a die hard Penn State fan and always has been. It's a family tradition and his extended family live in and around State College. I learned very early in our marriage the whole history of Penn State University from his grandfather and was taken on a tour of the stadium and grounds. 

Prior to meeting Nate, I could not have told anyone where "Happy Valley" was, pointed out a Nittany Lion, or given you any facts about the school's football program. (which is quite different since I've gotten an education in all of this now)  Obviously, if you follow college football you know this has been a tough year for the school, but it hasn't decreased Penn State fans' love for their team and the game. 



 Now for today's dilemma-- it was one of the first sold out games at UVA in a long time (so we were told) and was being aired on ABC and ESPN. The game was at UVA and we were sitting with UVA fans (one of whom was a coach's wife), so it was somewhat humorous for Nate to try to be a "closet" Penn State fan for the day.


  I know what he's like on "Game Day" and he was kindly suppressing his "excitement"  during the good Penn State plays throughout the game.  

During half time, we were all serenaded by 'The Temptations' as they sang along with UVA's marching band. We were all joking that the freshman students were probably taking their Iphones out to "google" who The Temptations were. I'm pretty sure in today's heat, these guys were breaking a sweat in their double polyester blend suits.
The Temptations


Truthfully, Penn State should have won this game, except for the performance of the guy below. Unfortunately, he was the downfall of today's game. (sorry Penn State fans, but it's true. Though I will say, the team lost their kicker, which we are obviously seeing will be a problem for them this year)

 At the very end, UVA scored a touchdown in the final minutes that put them one point ahead and Penn State missed their last field goal which would have won the game for them. Even I was getting a little excited and nervous at the end of the game.


Obviously, it was a great game day for the UVA football team. 


Congratulations Wahoos!

No comments:

Post a Comment