Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bumpy Flights & Storms of Life

Do you ever have crazy thoughts when you fly?  Recently, we had the opportunity to vacation in June and spend some much needed quiet time away from the stress of life. I don't think words can adequately describe how much our vacation was needed this year, (and certainly I realize we all think this as we go throughout the year- who doesn't, right?) but for us this year it was more than needed as life has thrown quite a number of things our way in the last 7 months as a family. It was on vacation that God reminded me of a beautiful truth while flying. (and anyone who knows me well, understands I do not like flying, so having any sort of logical thought while 30,000+ feet in the air is actually pretty amazing)
I hope it will encourage many of you who are going through a difficult time right now. (and if you don't think this applies to you now, I'm pretty sure you will need it in the days to come- as life is a constant series of highs and lows even for the strongest believer)

I hesitated writing this post, but then felt after hearing and seeing many things over the last several weeks from individuals, I should post it even if it encourages just one. Reflecting back over the last year, we were reminded of how God has allowed a number of challenges to enter our lives that we would not have expected, but were used to strengthen us, to show us He is still in control, and build our faith in new ways even amidst the circumstances. We have walked a path that hasn't exactly been lined with flowers some days...
But rather storm clouds that have rolled in as we journeyed. However, God never promises us all "sunny days" as a believer, (as we can all relate to this summer with all of the storms, right?) but if it weren't for the stormy days when the clouds roll in, we'd never grow to appreciate the sun and all of the beautiful things that spring forth due to the storms that came our way.

Late 2012 and the last 6 months have taken Nate and I along a path of experiencing family go through the pain of divorce, seeing 3 grandmothers go through serious illnesses (final stages of Alzheimer's, a recent stroke & Alzheimer's, and most recently the loss of Nate's grandma), family living with us for several months, a family member seeking to overcome addictions (which we both want to say we are so proud of this individual for coming out in such a public way and setting up strong accountability among believers and family- not being afraid to share with anyone and being clean now for over 89 days; we're still praying for continued strength along the journey & we're so proud of you), watching my grandmother digress and no longer able to live on her own (and having to move her from her home), as well as dealing with 6 months of unexplained illness that greatly affected our day to day lives to which doctors couldn't truly explain after months and months of testing. We say this to express that even amidst the difficulties, God has been working in each of these circumstances and continues to work through them in His own timing and His own way; therefore, we trust Him. We are thankful that some have slowly started to resolve, while others we continue to watch God work out day by day. God has been faithful to both us and our families during this time.

As we've walked through the last 7 months, there were days when it was hard not to ask, "Why, God?"  I was reminded of something a sweet and dear friend of mine said to us when we shared with them that we were adopting. I'll never forget it-- let me basically paraphrase it: "Know that by choosing to adopt one of God's beloved orphans, you are now treading in Satan's territory and you can expect spiritual warfare. He does not love the orphan and will do everything he possibly can to prevent them from knowing the love of the Father."  Certainly I'm not saying that all of the things God has allowed to come into our lives over the last several months are in any way related to adoption, but I will say Satan is powerful and certainly will want to discourage and distract us in every way that he can to get our focus off of Christ and onto that which we are experiencing. I work in the field of International Adoption and have seen it time and time again in hundreds of cases-- it's not always an easy journey. Whether you are in the process of adopting or not, I believe we aren't always aware of what God allows Satan to do to test us as believers. We do know that trials will come and they are very real in each of our lives. Don't immediately assume because things are difficult, it's because you aren't doing something right- that's not always the case, though it certainly could be. It's up to each of us to look at the circumstances and allow God to show us clearly what He's trying to say through those moments.

If you're going through a difficult time right now, God may truly want to see what you're really made of, if you really trust Him and how strong your faith really is when it's really being tested. Keep in mind, God didn't design us to live in isolation or to be silent and put on a fake smile and never lean on the support and prayers of the body of Christ. Even Christ himself had the support of His closest friends, the disciples, to pray with Him in His times of greatest need. Nate and I as well as our families, have been truly thankful for dear friends who have prayed alongside us and have truly exemplified what the body of Christ is all about.  We've also seen a number of other individuals and friends go through difficulties this year; yet, they have allowed God to use those tough moments for good in their lives.

It was on our flight in June, that I was given a visual reminder that hopefully will encourage you if you're going through a difficult time right now. As we left Seattle, the take-off was less than smooth and quite honestly, one of the worst I've experienced in a while. As we started ascending into the clouds, it became rough and rocky and the wind became strong due to storms being experienced below the clouds. What was but a few minutes seemed like an hour; however, within a few moments we were finally above the clouds, where the sun was shining and everything was clear and beautiful. 
 As I looked out of the window, I started to see breaks in the clouds and began to see the incredible snow-capped mountain ranges peeking through below. I recalled how at Mount Rainier National Park, these mountains looked incredibly huge towering above us, but now from this vantage point looked so small and insignificant. 
My mind drifted to this thought- this is exactly what God must think as He looks at our problems, our difficulties, and the mountains and storms of life we all face. We forget He is seeing things from a "higher perspective" (as I did when we got above the storms and clouds) - seeing what we can't yet see. He knows what's above the storm clouds we are seeing, the mountains that look so large in our lives...
Or the clouds that are blocking our "proper perspective" on the road of life that we're traveling on. When we're under the clouds, we can't see the full picture, but when we look down (as I did in that moment from the plane above the clouds) to see what the full picture below really looks like in that moment...
...it's then that we are reminded there is a piece of this picture that only He sees, and He knows there is beauty that will only come once we get through the storms of life and see what's on the other side.  I'm sure we've all heard the pilot illustration at one time or another, but I had to remind myself of this as we experienced this rough start to our flight heading home. We had also experienced this with our flight when we left for vacation heading to California, as the pilot had to re-route our plane from Atlanta far South through the middle of Texas due to the deadly storms that were occurring in Oklahoma at the time of our flight. 
He could see what was ahead and in that moment, chose to re-route us on a different path, but one that would still have us arriving in San Francisco, just a little differently and a little later than planned.

Just like the pilot on both of our flights- may we be ever-reminded that Christ, in the same way, is guiding us as believers through life. He sees the full picture of the circumstances presently going on in our lives and what is to come. He is in complete control of the situation, knows the destination He is leading us towards, realizes there may be some bumpy air along the way, but knows the best way to get us there safely. All we must do is trust Him.

I think these lyrics close this thought out well:

 "Sovereign"


Sovereign in the mountain air
Sovereign on the ocean floor
With me in the calm
With me in the storm

Sovereign in my greatest joy
Sovereign in my deepest cry
With me in the dark
With me at the dawn

In your everlasting arms
All the pieces of my life
From beginning to the end
I can trust you

In your never failing love
You work everything for good
God whatever comes my way
I will trust you

Sovereign in the mountain air
Sovereign on the ocean floor
With me in the calm
With me in the storm

Sovereign in my greatest joy
Sovereign in my deepest cry
With me in the dark
With me at the dawn

In your everlasting arms
All the pieces of my life
From beginning to the end
I can trust you

In your never failing love
You work everything for good
God whatever comes my way
I will trust you

God whatever comes my way
I will trust you

All my hopes
All I need
Held in your hands

All my life
All of me
Held in your hands

All my fears
All my dreams
Held in your hands

All my hopes
All I need
Held in your hands

All my life
All of me
Held in your hands

All my fears
All my dreams
Held in your hands

In your everlasting arms
All the pieces of my life
From beginning to the end
I can trust you

In your never failing love
You work everything for good
God whatever comes my way
I will trust you


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Leah!! A beautiful reminder that God does see the whole picture - the very thing we cannot see.

Post a Comment