Friday, June 8, 2012

Architecture, Thai Food, and Sore Feet

Without question, since the first time I went to Georgetown, this little part of DC just resonated with me. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it might be partly due to my addiction to HGTV design shows (ok, it's not really an addiction- it is WELL controlled) which often highlight this part of DC along with Capitol Hill. I've always been fascinated by design and architecture and always love looking at houses in different parts of the world. Georgetown is no exception. 

I love the brick streets. Particularly this one with an old railroad track in the center.


I love the variety of architecture and all of the row houses and townhouses. 


The use of color in each neighborhood....



There are no two streets exactly alike. 

I think the diversity and each person's individual style is expressed in each person's small corner of real estate. This one below is the ultimate urban entrance- I was afraid the owner might come out to their courtyard and see me peeking in and admiring their courtyard. I absolutely love this concept ( it was an open style courtyard entrance that was open to the outside without roofing- it was genius design planning and I am a huge fan of exposed brick might I add.)
Nate just thought I was in love with the Asian tree
The funny thing was going from this-

Which was on one side street... to this-


Ok, so I'll give them creative points on one level, but all I could think of were the neighbors who probably lost about $50k in their home value because of this idea. I would love to take a poll and see who you think might live in this house. I'm saying an artist of some sort, but I just found it hilarious that this home was a street with homes that looked like the first few photos above.

So after strolling through the shaded neighborhoods (as it was very hot today) we took our typical stroll down "M" street full of all of the hustle and bustle of DC. Even here, each store and building has its own unique look, even if it is a clothing or furniture chain store.
I had never seen this old movie theatre sign before- can't imagine how I missed it
Of course we passed our first date spot...



And then we decided to stop for dinner, just a different Thai place this time...





and the food --- A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. 




After dinner, we headed back out to the streets of Georgetown to take in a little more before heading towards the Potomac River. Of course, not before making a few stops along the way...






Watch TLC to learn what the buzz is about.



Our final route to our car included one more walk through some quaint neighborhoods in Georgetown where I took a particular interest in color and the doors. I've always liked taking photos of really cool doors. It's something I started noticing more when living in Argentina where architecture and doors are really amazing. All of the doors of the homes in Georgetown are quite unique. 





I think I'm in love with red doors. Really.



Although the bright green is pretty fun too and green is my favorite color- just maybe not for a door though.  Not practical, but definitely artsy.



These are just a few of the many styles, color, shapes, and sizes they came in. I'm sure not everyone finds this as fascinating as I did but I just had fun taking in all of the details of each house...and it reminded me- this is a city that opened many incredible doors for me in the past. It's where I met my husband, where we were engaged, and most recently where we confirmed our decision to adopt.  


Today was a great day, but I have to admit I feel like my feet might fall off from all of our walking today and to think tomorrow holds more of the same...








No comments:

Post a Comment