Saturday, July 14, 2012

Watermelon & Summer

It doesn't take much to make me happy....really. There is one word that makes me very happy- WATERMELON.  This one little slice of sweetness is something I have been craving all summer, but for some reason I hadn't yet come across a watermelon anywhere that actually wasn't seedless. Call me crazy, but I just don't think a seedless watermelon can compete with a good old-fashioned watermelon full of seeds. Last Saturday as I was doing my grocery shopping, I even chose where I was shopping based on the fact they had watermelon on sale. Now imagine my disappointment when after looking everywhere, I come to find out that they had sold them all.  Really?  Do they actually sell out?  Needless to say, I left the store with a little less pep in my step because I just knew I was going to find that watermelon I have been wanting all summer. 



Well, look no further-- today was my day. As I walked with a friend through our outdoor market downtown, I laid eyes on the most beautiful green watermelon and yes, I got just a little excited. Ok, maybe that's an understatement- a LOT excited. I've been dreaming of juicy watermelon and wanting to make some of my fun summer recipes that call for this refreshing treat.


What happened next....well, I'll let you see if you can figure it out...


Did you really think that I ate all of that?  Ummm, nope, but I now have a fridge full of red, juicy watermelon getting chilled for later this evening.  What's more exciting--  there is another large half in the fridge just waiting to be cut up later in the week. This just made my weekend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment