Sunday, December 16, 2012

An Early Christmas Present


Six years ago today, someone asked me a question that changed both of our lives forever- "Will You Marry Me?"Well, I don't think I have to tell you my response, but I will share some of our story.

Nate and I ironically went to the same University; however, we never met each other there- even though we later found out we had mutual friends. Once we both left school and entered our careers, it would be several years before God would allow our paths to cross.  For me, He had to take me literally around the world and back before I would "find" Nate or be ready to meet him (I had almost given up hope that there were actually great guys still to be found out there...but I'm oh so glad I was patient and didn't believe that little thought...good things truly come to those who wait).  Fast forward to a move back to the United States, a new job in DC, and several months later this "new guy" moving to the same area for a job offer. Hmmm.... let's just say it didn't take long before we met, became friends, started dating, and well, as they say- the rest is history.  

So our engagement? Here's how that memorable December 16th unfolded. 

A few days before December 16th, Nate told me that a friend from his work was starting his  photography business, so he wanted us to take some pictures that Saturday evening for his portfolio (or at least this was what I was told) The funny part is, I wasn't too into the idea at all, but went along with it anyway. (of course this was Nate's way to make sure I was "photo ready" for such a big day)

So, on Saturday, I headed out to do some Christmas shopping and Nate told me to meet him at his house at 3:30 so we could find "this guy's home".  I was a little late (surprise, surprise) from my Christmas shopping adventures (and was probably giving Nate a heart attack at this point since he had everything planned out and I had no idea what was to come) so once I arrived we headed out to find "Mr. Photography" and meet up with him. (not knowing that this guy doesn't actually exist)

After a short drive, we arrived at this location at the top of a hill and Nate acted like he couldn't find the house and long and short after "searching-for-the-guy-who-never-existed" he sends me walking one direction and before I know it, he calls out- I turn around and he is down on one knee, holding out a ring, with the sun setting behind him (he knew that I loved sunsets). Unfortunately, I think he's joking at this point and kept asking him "Are you really being serious?"  (I really don't know how many times I said that, but I know it was enough for him to say- "shhh....just let me talk for a minute" (haha- excitement/nervous energy I guess) and then he proposed and someone got an early Christmas present.






After he proposed, he played a song for me, then said we had to go somewhere. 

We jumped back in the car and ended up at a little gift shop to which he says "I thought it would be fun to pick out our first Christmas ornament together, so we headed inside. Little did I know, but he had already designed an ornament w/ the shop owner and ironically I walked in and headed right towards a certain Christmas tree where this ornament was hanging (I was drawn to the tree because of the color and had NO IDEA he had an ornament hanging on it).  As I'm just looking at the tree, I suddenly see my name on one of the ornaments and realize that it's for us- with our names on it, the date, and the statement "One Promise Lasting Forever"painted on it. 

And then there is a box under the tree that he tells me to unwrap and this is what I found inside...

I'm then pulled to another location where all of the ladies who work in the gift shop, and who helped pull this off, are standing (and just a little giddy might I add in light of what's happening).  I notice a gift box on the counter and realize it has our photo in it.  (it also had some wedding magazines and some tickets to an upcoming bridal show-- yes, he pretty much thought of it all so I'm going to brag on him for a minute)

After all of the fun at Zazu, we headed to a Christmas light show and an ice skating rink. To wind down the night, he had prepared dessert, complete with candles and rose petals to top of the evening.  A keeper?  I definitely think so.

So as we reflect on today, I know we can both say we have grown so much closer as only time can do.    

I am thankful for....

Who he is    
The godly example and leader that he is
What he means to me
 Who we are together

...and pray that the years ahead will be just a great as those in our past. 

1 comment:

A Bridge Of Grace said...

Yay! ;) my hubby proposed 12 years ago yesterday, too. And my BFF from HS got engaged the same night you did, 6 years ago, too. ;) Dec 16 is a great day! ;)

Jessi Cooper-Bowditch

Post a Comment