Monday, December 3, 2012

Dates & Memories

There are some dates that we will always remember for various reasons.  Some are days of great excitement and joy with wonderful memories while others are dates that we wish we could go back in time and change. Today is one of the days. December 3rd will always hold significance to my family for more than one reason. Last year, Nate & I decided to announce something special on a day that otherwise, was one that for the last four years had been a sad day in our family. On December 3rd, four years ago- heaven gained one of the sweetest uncles to walk this earth. He had fought a very hard and difficult 5 year battle with cancer. Our loss was heaven's gain and without a doubt, we know that this wonderful Christian man of faith, was welcomed by our Savior and joined other family members that had gone on before him. His life was evidence of that.

A year ago today, Nate and I announced to my side of the family we were adopting from China and though it was exciting for us, we also knew that on this very day held difficult memories for my mom's side of the family.  We decided to call my aunt this time last year, to share the news with her since we knew it was a difficult day for her and thought it might be something to make the day a little better. (as we had originally planned to share our news with our extended family when we saw them at Christmas) Needless to say, it made her day and she was so excited to hear the news.

My uncle Kenneth (a.k.a Ken, Papa, Buddha (don't ask about this one, really-- he had many aliases) was an incredible uncle and the kind of man that every one around him couldn't help but love. He was just one of those people who lit up a room when he walked in- with his sweet personality, his hilarious sense of humor, and warm smile.  People naturally gravitated to him.  

Pictured in Green with his brother and sons

You never saw him angry (although I'm sure there were occasions, you just never saw it often) and he always had a funny story to share every time you saw him. Though my dad doesn't have siblings, Kenneth became the brother my dad never had and became a part of our family in a way that many uncles don't always become. We grew up sharing many holidays with him, my aunt Sandra and their children. Oh could we share some stories of hilarious Christmas times and other family get togethers. I'll save you the details, but he was always the life of the party for sure. (and for us poor children, we had to keep him and my dad under control when the two of them were in the same room- it could get a little wild and crazy-- especially when his horse "Invisible" was around!)

He was an incredible family man. He was the example of what a father and husband should be, and had a wonderful relationship with them.  He loved to be with his family. His relationship with God and with his family were of utmost importance to him. 


.....and he loved his wife, Sandra. He was always the sweetest caring husband and I know that my aunt Sandra could share far greater stories than I ever could of what a kind, gentle, and loving husband he was. They shared many wonderful years together as a family and they both strengthened each other in different ways during his battle with cancer. She was faithful to stick by his side through the difficult moments until the end and as she would tell you, he would quote Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

We all shared some special moments in the hospital before God healed him and took him to be with Him, but the last words he said to my aunt was, "I love you and I'm going to miss you so much". I'm sure those were difficult words for my aunt to hear, but I'm pretty sure he's enjoying his new home much more than his home here. He's more alive now than he has ever been and he has many relatives who look forward to seeing him again some day. 

This is truly the beauty of knowing where you will go when life here on earth is over.

Kenneth, you were loved and are missed greatly- family gatherings just aren't quite the same without you. We know God healed you on December 3rd, just not quite the way we all had prayed. We look forward to the day when we will see your sweet smile again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment