Friday, December 14, 2012

The Christmas Adventures of "Instagranny"

Yes, you read that right and I did type "Instagranny" because this post has a couple of quick Instagram photos we took on my phone tonight of my grandma. This evening was a "date night" with Nate and "granny" [yes, we do call her granny sometimes- and yes, Nate was a great sport to share a date night with me and my grandma (#coolhusbandpoints)]. My grandma has always loved Christmas time and Christmas lights, so we decided to take a trip to see her and take her to look at Christmas lights in a nearby neighborhood. 

(Disclaimer: this very wildly, ahem, "festively" lit home pictured below wasn't one we came across with her (she might have jumped out of the back seat if we had), but rather came across in our city-- and trust me, this photo isn't even the half of it nor does it do it justice as to what it truly looks like- just think lots of bling, blinking, and animated things down an entire block. I was just thinking I'm glad I don't live beside this house or I might never get any sleep)
Now, if you think a little child enjoys looking at Christmas lights, I do think my grandma has them beat. I think she must have thanked us about 100 times for taking her out to look at the Christmas decorations and lights, complete with all of the "ooohs & aaahs". 

I have to say that I think that I have two of the cutest grandmas ever...and sure, I know that you probably think the same about yours, and you're allowed to think that; however, both of mine are too cute in my opinion (well, most of the time anyway). As we drove around, she was just loving every minute of the glistening white lights, the colored lights covering every inch of some homes, and listening to Christmas music. (to which she has not forgotten the lyrics to -might I add)  She continued to remind us how much she loved this time of year and just wanted to have everyone around at Christmas. We were also reminded quite a number of times that she couldn't believe it was almost Christmas. (to which I agreed and panicked because I have much to do in a few short days!)

Grandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer's years ago, and as anyone knows, you continue to see things progress over time. Tonight was the first time that she didn't recognize which granddaughter I was. (but at least she remembered I was her granddaughter,right?)  Oh she tried and tried hard- she recognized my face, but just couldn't connect my name with my face tonight. 

What I did find somewhat funny, though, is how she could remember Nate's name (once I told her which granddaughter I was). I told her she could always remember a good looking man's name somehow. (this is our family joke as she always is joking around about finding a boyfriend even at the young age of 80+  -although she has clearly told us there are no good prospects at the assisted living home)  

When I asked her what she wanted for Christmas this year--- her response?

"A good looking man"..... "with lots of money".  

Oh, Alzheimer's may have stolen some things, but her sense of humor and energy, not so much. It was the typical response one could expect from our funny little grandma.  So, I hooked her up at the end of the night with a good looking man and took their picture, what do you think?







No comments:

Post a Comment